Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Bedroom Makover

I have been stumped on our bedroom decor since we purchased the house in February. It seems like I had a direction for every other room but ours! Here is what it looked like before:
However, last week when my mom gave me the idea of covering a duvet insert with sheets it all came together. We received 4 sets of sheets from our wedding and we still had one set in the package. I took those and made a cover like you would a pillow and added buttons and button holes not only for the practical reason of holding it together but for Step 1 in our decor.
Since the sheets are a plain cream it left room for fun decorative pillows. I took one of our body pillows and covered it with a yard of cute red fabric I found on clearance. And those who know me well, know it had to be red! I finished off the edge of it with buttons too so they coordinated with the duvet cover.

Next, I took some burlap my mom added to my stash last week and made a slip for a pillow. Then I put a piece of cardstock inside and took another piece to make a stencil that read "a + k" I sponged on dark brown fabric paint, removed the stencil and let it dry.

And lastly, I took a duvet cover we received from our wedding that was chocolate brown (probably my second favorite color), cut it in half and made curtains out it! The reason I just didn't go with that cover in the first place was because of our "firstborn son" as my husband calls him, our orange, fluffy cat, Go, who pretty much did this during the entire project:
I would have never been able to make it look clean with him around. It went pretty fast once I had the idea and was able to do it from Friday to Sunday and for less than $15! Can't get better than that! Here is the finished project:
 I'm really pleased with how it turned out and already looking forward to my next project! Wall decor: coming soon.

Love, On Willow

No comments:

Post a Comment